Friday, September 19, 2014

Amy Adams & Christoph Waltz Battle Over Big Eyes

After it was announced that Julianne Moore has just about dominated the Best Actress race, I suppose it was inevitable that we'd get a look at Amy Adams (the presumed front runner until Moore surprised us all) in "Big Eyes". Directed by Tim Burton, the film looks to be anything but the types of films we've come to expect from the creepy auteur... and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Though I suppose that it's possible it could be from the way the trailer is cut. However, I'm not sure this is going to be everything it was hyped up to be a few months ago. The film looks like a standard biopic; period production sets, costumes, etc which all look handsomely crafted. I just feel as if this performance is not the type that would justify an Oscar win, given Adams' handsome resumé (5 nominations); her "American Hustle" work remains my favorite performance of hers, and this seems like weak sauce in comparison.

But expect her to be a present contender (unless the film is just flat out horrible) as she always is; the Academy loves her and they love biopics (and it's distributed by Weinstein) so I suppose she's safe. I'm not expecting anything revelatory here, just standard uplifting, maybe occasionally funny "based on a true story". Christoph Waltz looks to be channeling his "Inglorious Basterds" bad guy routine with a biopic twist. Hopefully it's better than his "Django Unchained" work.

Make up your own mind though, and watch the trailer here


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the trailer. I was kind of disappointed, especially since this is a Tim Burton movie and he's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete