Friday, November 15, 2013

Sky Ferreira Live Blog

Hey everyone! As I mentioned a few days ago I'd be live blogging the Sky Ferreira concert tonight. This is Sky's first tour, in support of her long awaited album which is finally here. It peaked at #8 on iTunes, with little to no promotion from her label, which she has notoriously been struggling with to release an album for almost 5 years now. 

For those of you that don't know, Sky Ferreira is not just a musician, but also a model and an actress. She uses her modeling and acting career as a way of funding her music. She has stated that she does this to have as much creative control over her music as possible, which is another reason why she's clashed with her label in the past. 

Sky has modeled for Forever 21, Marc Jacobs, Vogue, Elle, and a number of other high profile magazines and retailers. In addition, she has acted in a number of independent films, most notably Putty Hill, which was screened at a number of film festivals, including the Berlin Film Festival. She and the film received good notices from critic Roger Ebert. Recently she appeared in a short film called IRL, directed by Grant Singer (who she has collaborated with on many of her music videos). She's set to star in Eli Roth's horror film, "The Green Inferno", which is about a group of students on a trip to protect a group of natives in the Amazon, however, they are taken hostage by those same natives. 

Anyway, enough background, I've babbled enough. I'm waiting right now for my friend to come pick me up so we can start driving into the city. The liveblog will begin below with various updates throughout the night. Enjoy! :)


7:42 pm

I'm outside of the First Unitarian Church in Philadelphia waiting to be let into the basement where The Smith Westerns and Sky Ferreira will be playing one of the shows on her tour in support of her debut album, "Night Time, My Time". It was just announced she will be opening for Miley Cyrus on her worldwide #BANGERZ tour, which begins next year.

















8:00 pm

My best friend Nina Krawczyk, and I are waiting in line. Our other friends, Brendan and Jamie, haven't arrived yet. 

8:15 pm

We just got clearance to head into the basement. It's really crazy, there are a lot more people here than I expected, the line is wrapping around the block. 

8:17 pm




















I've been marked!!!

8:36 pm

A local band has been scheduled at the last second to give Sky more time to warm up. The band is called Dark Blue. I've never heard of them, but a lot of people in the crowd seem to be familiar with them. 

8:40 pm

Frontman of Dark Blue, Jon, introduces himself, and announces that they'll be playing 5 songs for us tonight. 

















8:54 pm

Before finishing their set, the band disses Sky Ferreira, receiving boos from the audience. "We didn't know you liked Guy Farrari that much!" the guitarist jokes. 

9:00 pm

Dark Blue has just finished their set. The Smith Westerns begin to set up for their performance, but you can tell the crowd just wants Sky to come out.

9:17 pm













The Smith Westerns 


10:03 pm

The Smith Westerns finally have finished their set. Everyone looks restless as they await the appearance of Sky. The guy standing in front of me says he's taking a shot of his Strawberita every 5 minutes that Sky isn't out yet. 

10:11 pm













Zachary Cole Smith, frontman of the band DIIV, appears on the stage to a very enthusiastic response from the crowd. In addition to being in a band, he's also Sky's boyfriend, and it looks like he'll be joining her on stage tonight. He's also famous for getting arrested a month ago, along with Sky, for possession and driving a stolen vehicle. 

10:21 pm

The lights are flickering, the crowd is cheering. She's about to come out.

10:30 pm

The interlude to the song "Boys" starts, playing, she walks out from behind the stage. SHE'S FINALLY HERE. 


Here's Sky performing a bit of "Boys"


10:45 pm

After an enthusiastic performance of "Ain't Your Right" she leads right into "24 Hours" my personal favorite. She is visibly emotional by the end of the song. 






10:55 pm

"Is that a Four Loko can?" Sky points out before performing her next song. "I thought those didn't even exist anymore. I'm sorry, where'd you get it? Ebay? Okay I'm sorry, I'll go back to playing my show now!" She laughs, and leads into Heavy Metal Heart. 

During the bridge of the song, Zachary starts joking around on stage and yells something at Sky that makes her laugh, and she's unable to finish the bridge. However, she pulls through the rest and kills the end of the song.


11:11 pm 

If you're at a concert, and you don't take a selfie, were you really there? 


















11:15 pm 
Someone just took of their shirt and threw it to Sky, screaming "I LOVE YOU!" Sky picks up the shirt, giggling, "It's a bit chilly outside, don't you need this? No? Okay!". She puts the shirt on stage next to her, and begins "Everything Is Embarrassing". This will be her last song.




Sky Ferreira was one of the best shows I've been too, and I've seen Mariah Carey live. This girl has a crazy hard work ethic, and though she's had a lot to hurdle over in the past (even in just the last few months), she's proven that she's serious about her music career. What's interesting to me is that she's explored other facets of the entertainment industry (acting and modeling) as a way to support her dream, which not to get sentimental, but it really is inspiring. With Night Time My Time, and her touring with super celebrity Miley Cyrus, I really think Sky has a big future ahead of her. 

















11:40 pm

And now for the drive home. Don't worry, I'm not the one driving, just thought it would be a nice way to close the post, and it's a pretty image after a great night. I hope you enjoyed reading through this as much as I enjoyed being at the show (hopefully it makes you feel like you were there with me... even if it's just a little bit).


OH, and here's a list of songs she performed last night, in order:
Boys, Ain't Your Right, 24 Hours, Omanko, Lost In My Bedroom, Heavy Metal Heart, You're Not The One, Night Time My Time,  I Will, Love In Stereo, Everything Is Embarrassing 

No comments:

Post a Comment