Sunday, March 2, 2014

Academy Award Winners

Full list of winners (and commentary) below.

Best Supporting Actor:



  • Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Did anyone see this going any other way? The only award he lost out on this season was the BAFTA, for which he was not nominated for. Though not my first choice for the award, a truly deserving winner. His work in the film is very detailed and poignant, so good on him.

Best Costume Design: 

  • The Great Gatsby, Catherine Martin 
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: 
  • Adruitha Lee and Robin Matthews, Dallas Buyers Club
On just a budget of $250, it's amazing some of the work that was done in this film. Well deserved.

Best Animated Short Film:
  • Mr. Hublot
Best Animated Feature Film:
  • Frozen
Another win you could've seen coming from a mile away. Would've been nice to see The Wind Rises take it, but I suppose you can't stop the inevitable.

Best Visual Effects: 
  • Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould, Gravity
Well... duh. I think this is where Gravity begins its reign of the tech categories.

Best Live Action Short Film:
  • Helium 
Best Documentary Short Subject:
  • The Lady In Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Best Documentary Feature: 
  • 20 Feet From Stardom
Best Foreign Language Film:
  • The Great Beauty
Best Sound Mixing: 
  • Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro, Gravity
Best Sound Editing:
  • Glenn Freemantle, Gravity
Best Supporting Actress:


  • Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years A Slave
She truly deserved this one. I couldn't help but jump out of my seat when I heard her name called. She managed to also deliver one of the greatest speeches I've ever heard. I can't wait to see what this win does for her career.

Best Cinematography:
  • Emmanuelle Lubezki, Gravity
Best Editing:
  • Alfonso Cuaron and Mark Sanger, Gravity
I was pulling for Captain Phillips to win, though I suppose I was a little foolish to think tech magnet Gravity would lose any of these awards.


Best Production Design: 
  • Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn, The Great Gatsby 
All I can say is that things aren't really looking that good for American Hustle.

Best Original Score: 
  • Steven Price, Gravity
Best Original Song:
  • Let It Go, Frozen
After that dreadful performance, I was hoping one of the other nominees might take it. But it's a great song, so... whatever.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
  • John Ridley, 12 Years A Slave
Best Original Screenplay:
  • Spike Jonze, Her
TRULY WELL DESERVED. Have to say, I thought this would be Hustle's major win... but I guess not. If Her was going to win only 1 award, I'm glad this is the one it won.

Best Director:
  • Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Best Actress in a Leading Role:



  • Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

This one has been determined since Blue Jasmine premiered last summer. She hasn't missed one award and there was no way she was going to miss out on this one. Well deserved.

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

  • Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
Kind of sad that either Leo or Chiwetel couldn't pull this out, if only because Matthew will have countless opportunities to win this award down the road. But still, gotta hand it to him, this is a hell of a performance.

Best Picture:

  • 12 Years A Slave
So happy it could pull out a win, especially when things started seeming like the Gravity awards. Overall, I knew that it could run to finish line; it truly is a great winner, and the best winner of the award we've had in a long time. Good on the Academy to reward it.

No comments:

Post a Comment